5G – Too Much Risk, Too Little Reward

5G - Too Much Risk, Too Little Reward

Ella Mossman, Staff Writer

5G technology is an upcoming data format that transforms technology as we know it. It provides lower-latency and higher-efficiency. This is achieved by breaking data into smaller packages; providing faster transfer times. However, 5G has exhibited technical and safety concerns, such as causing cancer and creating oxidative damage as the product of restructuring DNA strands. According to Live Science, “Many of these concerns are over 5G’s use of the higher energy millimeter-wave radiation. It’s ionizing radiation that is dangerous because it can break chemical bonds.” 

These substantial concerns are frequently overlooked due to 5G’s extensive benefits. 5G technology is very attractive to mobile providers because it is the next generation of mobile broadband, which will eventually replace the 4G LTE connection. With 5G, one can experience exponentially faster download and upload speeds. Much like the rest of the US population, La Jolla High students know very little about the drawbacks and benefits of 5G technology. Sophomore Sienna Avina said, “I know that it has some health concerns and that it can lead to severe medical issues.” 

Sophomore Carmelo Maggio said, “I do not know much about the 5G tech, but I know that it can lead to serious long term effects.” Overall, 5G technology is a harmful database that can harm humans, as it violates strict advisory limits for exposure and radiation exposure. 

While 5G is a step forward, it has more negative effects than positive, as it leads to soil erosion, global warming, depolarisation of water molecules, and more, according to the New York Times. It also contends that the new network generates radiofrequency radiation that can damage DNA and lead to cancer; causing oxidative damage that can cause premature aging and disrupt cell metabolism.