New Questions Raised About the Dangers of Vaping

Easton Rickards, Staff Writer

As health officials keep working to figure out the cause of more than 200 U.S. lung illnesses believed to be linked to vaping, some experts have said that an oil derived from Vitamin E could be the reason.
According to New York Health Officials 34 recent lung illnesses relating to vaping, a common link seems to be the presence of Vitamin E acetate, a.k.a. Vitamin E oil, in consumers homemade THC cartridges, likely added as a thickening agent.
“I enjoy the head rush, it calms me down.” said a student at La Jolla High. However, they said, “Vaping is bad and nobody should be doing it”. In a recent statement, President Trump said “We can’t allow people to get sick and we can’t have our youth be so affected.” His worries are similar to those of many public health advocates in the United States, who say that e-cigarettes kid friendly flavors such as mango and mint have stoked great increases in American adolescent vaping in the past five years. In a 2018 survey by the National Institute of Health, almost 21% of U.S. high school students reported that they were using a nicotine vape in the last 30 days, a rate nearly double that of the same period in 2017.
The Food and Drug Administration stated, “Because consumers cannot be sure whether any THC vaping products may contain vitamin E acetate, consumers are urged to avoid buying vaping products on the street, and to refrain from using THC oil or modifying any substances to products purchased in stores.” Vitamin E oil has many symptoms including digesting dietary fat rather than from a diet low in vitamin E, and can cause nerve problems. Therefore, due to these facts, vaping at a young age can cause you a series of problems that can
Vaping is worse than normal cigarettes because it has a higher percent rate of causing problems such as lung illness and much more. According to the Center for Disease Control, “In 2019 it became clear that vaping could cause seizures and serious lung damage after just a year, possibly less, based on reports of almost 200 patients hospitalized for lung damage apparently caused by vaping.”